Wednesday 15 February 2012

Week 5 - Warm and Cosy Chicken Pie

I am a big lover of pie, I find it so comforting and delicious its a good thing its a bit faffy to make otherwise I would be a pastry beast! My mum makes a mean pie and she makes amazing pastry. Sadly I wasn't blessed with her pastry making genes but eating a good pie instantly comforts me and sends me back to my childhood.

Because of my terrible pastry making - I think I must have hot hands or something - I rarely attempt to make pie but this week the temperature dropped and to be fair I'd been eating a lot of salads and just wanted something really warming and cosy, plus you can buy ready rolled pastry so why not! I came across a recipe for a healthy chicken pie and thought I'd give it a whirl. You can try the recipe out here



I made a few alterations to the recipe to suit my ingredients, and to be honest I was quite upset that the recipe was missing mushrooms as chicken and mushroom really goes well so I chucked a couple of mushrooms in for good measure.

Also because this is a healthy recipe it used filo pastry but I changed this for Puff Pastry and it still came in at under 550 calories per person so still pretty healthy if you ask me. The pie was delicious, really warming and comforting and filling. I made the recipe for two and there was still about a portion left over at the end. Mr Gem really enjoyed it and it was actually a nice change from all the Asian themed food I'd been trying.

I'd give this recipe a 7.5 out of 10, and thats just because pie isn't as flavoursome as some of the other recipes I've done this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment